Has anybody ever asked you how you come up with ideas for your writing? I hate that question, because the answer is always “It depends….” Some days I can’t keep up with the ideas my crazy Muse Dolores is throwing at me like a pitching machine gone mad. Other days, I suspect Dolores has emptied my bank account and run away to a sandy island in the Pacific, and that’s when I know I need to get myself unstuck.
One way I come up with ideas when I need to write and my inspiration has fled is by considering various subgenres. Here’s a list I came up with. See if you can add any to it.
- Numbered list (Top 5 ….)
- Review (movie, TV, book, video game, sports event, restaurant, product)
- Response to something you saw online
- Response to something that happened in a class
- Response to a controversial issue – take a strong stance
- A compelling memory
- Where I live
- Tips for ….
- Writing (writers love to write about writing)
- Rant (If I can’t find something that pisses me off, I’m in trouble.)